If you are an art lover, live in the San Marcos area, and haven’t yet discovered the Art Squared Market, you don’t know what you’re missing. Held on the second Saturday of each month from March through December on the lawn of the Hays County Courthouse, the Art Squared Market is a delightful venue for local artisans to display their creativity. Since 2013, the Art Squared Market has allowed area artists to connect with one another and the community and sell their work.
What You Will Find and When to Go
The market is open from 9 a.m. until 4 p.m. and features juried artists working in a wide variety of mediums. While there, you will spot mediums like drawing/pastels, oil, acrylic, and watercolor painting. You’ll also see fiber (wearables), textiles, batik, leather, ceramics, photography, graphics and printmaking, woodworking, and jewelry, including precious metals, ornamental, and costume. In addition, you can browse metalwork, sculpture, mixed media, and recycled or upcycled material pieces.
Just some of the artists and the mediums with which they work are:
- Nessie Marie Art, traditional and digital illustrator
- Steinhagen Metalsmiths (Denise Steinhagen), jewelry
- Chris Zurovec, jewelry
- Born in Zorn (Jack Rosenberg), welded metal art
- Dalton Designs (Lacy Weyler), jewelry
- Moonglass Muse Designs (Kelly Muse), etched glass
- River City Glassworks (Kathryn Welch), stained glass
- The Art of J. Rene Perez, fine art
- Adaptive Reuse (Christine Terrell), jewelry
- Skin Zen by Kim (Kim Algoe), bath and body
- Tiny Amber Taylor, fine art and jewelry
- Walking Sky Gallery (Norma Gonzalez-Hillan), photography
- Chapa Metal (José Chapa), metal art
- Cynthia Smith, fine art
- Woodworking Magic (Brenda Noller), woodworking
- Suzanne Shield-Polk, ceramics and mixed media
- Texas Rose Crafts (Joyce Sisler), wood crafts
- Level Up Creation (Alexandra Rodriguez), crochet
- New Critter Studios (Kenneth Schwoerke), fine art
- Gigi Mederos Visual Artist, silk painting
- Daniel Richter Art, fine art
- A Grimm Design (April Layman), leatherwork, sculpture
- Lakelea Designs (Amberlea Marcum), textiles
- Marieta Hutchison, author
- Cypress Cottage Crafts (Stephanie Holling), home and fashion
- Earlene Graham, art dolls
- Holcombville Pottery (Cecy Holcomb), pottery
- Castle Wynd Glassworks (Debby Gibson), fused glass
- Jack Graham, woodworking
More Than Just Art
There’s a limited number of food vendors on-site at the Market, and there are several eateries within walking distance of the courthouse for your dining pleasure, so you can easily get a snack as you stroll or dine before or after.
You might also like: Let’s Brunch in San Marcos
Become a Vendor
Those artists wishing to become a vendor must go through an application process and then pay an application fee. Vendor spaces cost $25. But if you’re a member of the San Marcos Art League, it costs $20.
The friendly folks at Nissan of San Marcos would be happy to help you select a new or quality used Nissan to drive to the Art Squared Market from your San Marcos, Texas, home. Come in to our dealership and let us show you the wide selection of vehicles we have for you to choose from.